My easy chocolate lava cake recipe is delicious and has a gooey centre oozing out. warm molten lava cake topped with ice cold vanilla ice cream is a dessert that brings so much of comfort.
What is lava cake
Lava cake is also known as molten cake or fondant cake that has a gooey oozing centre just like lava once baked in the oven. The outside of the cake will be firm and it is the middle that oozes out that makes it different than a normal chocolate cake.
Molten lava cake is a great idea to be served for two people on a date night, it is simple and doesn’t require long preparation time, and can be made ahead and baked just before serving.
I love to serve lava cake to my guest because it always serves its purpose, and becomes such a crowd-pleaser because it hits the sweet spot of everyone. also a great idea for valentines day!!! now who doesn’t like a bit of chocolate explosion on a romantic date to end the night, well I wouldn’t complain 🙂
This molten cake is ridiculously easy to make and can be made in less than 30 minutes. It is a foolproof recipe as you don’t need to be the best baker to nail this recipe like a pro, my easy step by step recipe and video will guide you all the way through.
How do lava cakes work?
The biggest question is, is it just uncooked cake that is described as a lava cake? The truth is theoretically yes, but when you deep dive into the science behind it, a normal chocolate cake will not have a gooey centre if baked for a short time. the recipe is a bit more liquid than a chocolate cake batter, which also includes little flour than a normal cake batter. also freezing the cake, helps to hold its structure and baking it for a short time makes the middle gooey.
How do you know when a chocolate lava cake is done?
Usually, the time needed in the oven will always be the same, so make sure before you do the final baking. just do a test run and bake one pudding.
Remember everyone’s oven is different and everyone’s ramekins are going to be different, so the time guide specified in my recipe will definitely work but depending on each oven and ramekins it needs to be tested.
when it is baked and you touch the pudding on the top slightly, it will be wobbly and not firm, and that’s how you know when the cake is done.
How to prepare ramekins for chocolate lava cake?
It is very important to prepare the ramekins as you don’t want the puddings to be stuck on the ramekins after baked, so preparing the puddings are important.
1. Firstly it needs to be brushed with melted butter with upward strokes ( There is a reason behind why it is brushed upwards because when you demold it, that’s the direction the pudding will be sliding out)
2. secondly it needs to be covered with cocoa powder, so the cake batter will not be stuck to the sides of the ramekins.
How to remove the chocolate lava cakes from the ramekins?
When it is baked, make sure it is not kept in the ramekins for a long time, as the lava cake will be still cooking inside the ramekin for the heat. run a knife around the edges of the ramekin and demold it onto a plate.
How do you store an uncooked chocolate lava cake?
Wrap the ramekins filled with the lava cake batter with cling wrap and keep it refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze molten lava cake batter?
Yes, you can freeze it up to 1 month wrapped tightly with cling film.
when you need to bake it cook for an additional 2 minute more than the refrigerated lava cakes.
Can you reheat lava cake
you can reheat the cake but when you try to get it warm, it can overcook, so I will not recommend it. it’s always best to bake it just before serving.
What to serve with chocolate fondant cake?
Usually, the lava cakes are dusted with icing sugar, topped with vanilla ice cream or dollop of whipped cream and served with berries on the side to balance the sweetness & the richness of the chocolate.
You can also check my other dessert recipes.
If you enjoy my lava cake recipe please share it with your Facebook friends and leave a comment.
Watch video how to make easy chocolate lava cake recipe
How to make easy chocolate lava cake – step by step recipe below
- 180 g Dark cooking chocolate Chopped
- 250 g Butter Unsalted
- 4 eggs
- 88 g Sugar White
- 33 g All-purpose flour
To coat the moulds
- 50 g Melted butter
- 50 g Cocoa powder
How to prepare the ramekins
- Melt butter in the microwave until melted
- Apply the melted butter in upward strokes around the ramekins and on the sides using a brush
- Before the butter dries out dust cocoa powder to the ramekins until well coated. Leave in the fridge until needed
How to prepare the lava cake batter
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Place the chocolate and butter into a heatproof bowl
- Heat quarter cup of water in a saucepan on medium fire (Double boiler)
- Place the bowl with chocolate and butter on top of the boiling waterto melt the chocolate mixture
- Once melted leave aside to cool down slightly
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs, sugar until fluffy and lighter in colour (Use a stand mix or a handheld mixer)
- Once its well whisked add in the melted chocolate and butter mix gradually while whisking
- Lower the speed of the mixer fold in the flour
- If you are baking right away, then freeze for 1 hour, before baking, if not cover them and refrigerate until needed.
Cooking the lava cakes
- Bake the Chocolate lava cake for 16-18 minutes (the time will depend on the size of the ramekins) Run a test lava cake first before attempting to bake all at once. a smaller ramekin will take approx 12-15 minutes.
- When it comes off the oven, before it cools down, runs a small knife around just to detach it, then turn the cakes out on to a plate (ramekins will be hot, so use a kitchen towel to turn the cakes out)
- Serve it warm with cold vanilla ice cream
8 thoughts on “Easy Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe”
One of my favourite dessert in the world – I haven’t had it in so long but I’m desperate for it now!
I love it too, it is such a comforting dessert.
The recipe is insane thank you so much for sharing it with me, will surely try preparing it as my daughter loves cakes and this will surely taste yummy will also share it with my friends and family as well.
Thanks, it will totally be a winner 🙂
Why is chocolate so hard to stay away from? I love this cake!
hahaahhah I know that problem too well.
You had me at chocolate! These look easy and delicious 🙂 just needs a scoop of ice cream to make it extra delicious 😋
Exactly the way I like it 🙂