This easy cream of mushroom soup is the perfect winter warmer dish. But this soup is so versatile and flavoursome, making this soup during other seasons have become quite popular as well. However you enjoy it, This is a must-try dish for anyone wanting an easy dinner solution within minutes.
I grew up a lot with mushroom soup as a kid. I grew up on a tropical island, so we never had winter, so for us, the mushroom soup was basically a fancy soup you get to eat at restaurants.
If there is one vegetable that I cannot live without, mushrooms, they are my favourite, especially when cooked right. I make this dish quite often at home as well, by now you must all know its soup Thursdays in my households during winter months.
What mushrooms to add for cream mushroom soup?
Button mushrooms are the cheapest and easiest mushrooms to add and chop, but if you want to boost flavour, I recommend adding a few varieties of mushrooms, like shitake, swiss brown to amp up that umami flavour.
What stock to add to creamy mushroom soup
If you want it vegetarian then add vegetable stock, I usually add chicken stock as that’s what I have in my pantry all the time.
What are some of the best herbs to add to a mushroom soup
Thyme is the best herb to add to a mushroom soup
How can I get a really strong mushroom flavour for the cream of mushroom soup
The mushroom flavour is quite strong when cooked and stewed properly. Usually, this umami-flavoured dish needs to be balanced with something creamy Hence, we add cream at the end to give that nice balance of flavour. The mushroom itself releases a lot of water during the cooking process, so make sure not to add too much water and dilute the flavour. The main goal in a mushroom soup is to extract the mushroom flavour, with little liquid as possible and adjust the consistency with cream.
What to have with easy mushroom soup?
We all know soup without bread is like a hamburger without a burger bun. I call it soup Thursday to cut my carb intake during the week, in fact, I dip my delicious soups in crusty bread and crack open a nice bottle of red to go with it haha haha not too bad for a Thursday ya??? Try my focaccia bread recipe, which is divine to go with this delicious mushroom soup recipe. Also croutons.
Step by step guide on ow to cook easy mushroom soup
- 2 tbsp Oil Olive oil, Canola, Vegetable
- 1 Brown onion Chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves Chopped
- 500 g Mushrooms Sliced
- 800ml Vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black pepper
- 200 ml Cream Thickened cream, Cooking cream
- 5 slices Bread
- Oil Olive oil, Canola oil, Vegetable oil
- to taste Salt and pepper
- In a medium-size saucepan add oil and place on medium heat. Add onion, garlic and saute for 2 minutes until soft, Then add the mushrooms and saute well.The mushrooms will release water at this point. The goal here is not to brown the mushrooms but rather to sweat the mushrooms.
- Once the mushrooms are soft and cooked, add the stock, salt, pepper and leave it on a medium fire for about 15-20 minutes
- Finally, add the cream and keep it on a low fire for about 5 minutes
- Take the soup off the heat, add the soup into a blender and blend until smooth
- Pour the blended soup back into the pot and simmer on a low fire until hot. At this point, if the consistency of the soup is too thick, then add a bit of stock or water to loosen it up.
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Cut bread into small cubes, place all the bread cubes in a medium-sized bowl
- Add salt, pepper and oil and coat well
- Layer the bread cubes on a flat tray and bake in the oven for 10 mins
- Take off the oven cool down
- Top it on top of the soup, just before servoing
2 thoughts on “Easy mushroom soup recipe”
Wow this looks so tasty! I am a huge mushroom fan. I like to pick them myself in the forest. Those fresh ones are the best! When I’ll get some (and the season is coming), this soup will be the first thing I will make.
Greetings from https://www.cookhomey.com/
Oh wow, I would love to pick them myself as well. Yes, definitely fresh ones are the best!!!