Homemade Churros recipe and chocolate sauce!!! who invented this darn good combo?? whoever it is, it’s a damn good invention. What’s not to like about crispy churros fluffy on the inside plunged in hot chocolate sauce. Honestly, I am sure you are drooling the same way I am right now. Making churros at home can be so easy and rewarding at the same time
The difference between churros and doughnuts is that doughnuts take a longer time to make and have a longer process, because there is yeast in the batter and you need to rest it before deep-frying but making churros from scratch can be done in 20 mins tops and its just a mix and pipe job and voila Spanish churros freshly made at home. Churros is more crispy than a doughnut and it’s better served hot rather than doughnut which is better served at room temperature.
Ingredients for churros
Ok enough of me saying how easy it is to make homemade churros from scratch, let the ingredients speak for themselves. All you need is milk, water, salt, sugar, butter, flour and eggs to make the churros batter.
Churros batter is quite sticky and the secret to good churros is getting the consistency right. Churros batter is exactly the same recipe as the choux recipe that you would make for eclairs. The stickiness is what will make the churros crispy and fluffy on the inside.
Churros with cinnamon sugar
Now the beauty of churros is that once it is fried, it gets rolled in cinnamon sugar, and I know at that point you will be tempted to eat it all, but hold on, dipping it in the hot chocolate sauce is much more delicious!!!
Churros chocolate sauce
The beauty of this recipe is the chocolate sauce is a dip, so you can double dip it, triple-dip it any way you like. Also for parties and gatherings, you can do a DIY churros platter. with freshly fried churros, strawberries and chocolate sauce or even a selection of sauces.
How to cook churros
Cooking churros is fairly simple, you need a pastry bag for churros, which gets filled and then piped straight to the hot oil. To cook it we would use a shallow fry rather than a deep-fry and make sure you use a saucepan that is large and has a wide surface, that way you can pipe many churros at once. The easiest way to pipe is, cutting the churros with a scissor after piped. make sure to dip the scissors into the hot oil, so it will not be sticky and will make it easier to cut. Also, make sure to use metal scissors and not plastic scissors
How to make churros crispy
Churros like any other fried item are best served freshly fried and they will hold their crispiness for 15-20 mins and after that it becomes soft. Even after they are soft they still taste good.
How to reheat churros
If you like to make churros in advance and serve later, then don’t dust them with cinnamon sugar, pipe and fry the churros as per the recipe, then when you want to serve, preheat the oven to 180C and crisp them up for 7-10 mins until crispy then roll it in the cinnamon sugar when serving.
You can also check my other dessert recipes here.
Homemade churros recipe video
Step by Step recipe on how to make home-made churros recipe
Homemade Churros Recipe
- 50 g Fresh milk
- 125 g Water
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar Caster
- 55 g Butter Unsalted
- 95 g Flour All purpose flour
- 3 Eggs
- 35 g Sugar White caster sugar
- 2 tsp Cinnamon powder
Chocolate dipping sauce
- 80 g Dark cooking chocolate
- 120 g Thickened cream cooking cream, whipping cream
- In a medium-size saucepan add water, milk, sugar, salt and butter and let it come to a boil
- When the mixture is boiling, add the flour and mix well until it comes together as a dough, keep it on low fire until it is well incorporated. you will know the batter is ready once a thin layer of batter is formed on the bottom of the saucepan
- Place the mixture while it is hot into a cake mixture with the palette attachment (you can also use a handheld mixer. let it mix at a low speed until the batter is cooled down
- Once the batter is cooled down add the eggs one by one until well incorporated and the mixture looks like a thick cake batter ( This might take about 3-5 minutes) make sure the batter is sticky and the correct consistency ( check video)It will not look like the batter is coming together at first but the more you mix it will come to the correct consistency
- Transfer the batter into a piping bag fitted with an 8mm star nozzel
- Add enough oil to a wide large saucepan and heat the oil to 180C
- Pipe 12cm churros into the hot oil directly and use a metal scissor to snip it ( if the mix is too sticky, dip the tip of the metal scissor into the hot oil to make it easier to cut)Turn the churros occasionally, so it cooks evenly on all sides. Once they are golden brown in colour, take them off the fire and let them drain on a paper towel
Cinnamon sugar coating
- Add sugar and cinnamon powder into a small tray and mix well
- Once the churros come out of the hot oil after draining add them directly to the cinnamon coating, this will ensure the sugar sticks to the churros
- Microwave the cream for 20-30 seconds and while hot, add in the chocolate and mix with a rubber spatula, until well incorporated and turns to a thick chocolate sauce
- Enjoy the churros while they are hot and crispy with the chocolate dipping sauce