Honey and soy chicken is the all-time favourite marinade. if there is one marinade that does not get outdated that’s honey soy, it can be applied on kebabs, chicken thigh, chicken wings. it’s such a versatile marinade. This is going to be an ultimate BBQ dish that is sticky, glossy, flavourful!!!! YUM YUM YUM
Honey soy chicken BBQ or panfried?
This recipe is best cooked on a BBQ or grill pan, but if you are cooking for an everyday meal, you can use a normal frying pan to cook this dish. The only difference when using a BBQ or a grilling pan is that because of the grilling technique, it amplifies the chargrill taste notes and flavour.
What cut of chicken to use for honey and soy chicken
This dish is cooked on high heat. when a slice of meat is exposed to high heat it’s very likely to dry out very quickly. the chicken thigh can withstand heat and not overcook very easily. therefore use chicken thigh as it will give good flavour and succulence
Sticky honey soy chicken thigh
Honey soy marinade
Well as you are well aware by now, I develop meat products for major retailers and in a few of my past employments, I did develop the honey soy that you can buy in the major retailers now. but when developing for retailers there is always a cost component involved, therefore, you can never develop good honey soy for retail. you can actually test that by looking at the ingredients listed on the back of the pack. There is not much honey in the product.
So in this recipe, I am going to show you how to make your own honey soy marinade which is soooo simple to make and also to make it cost efficiently while not tipping the whole bottle of honey to make the marinade. Good honey is expensive
What to serve with honey soy chicken
– White rice
-Corn on the cob
What you need for honey soy chicken
To make the marinade and sauce all you need is honey, soy, garlic, brown sugar, ginger its that simple to make. There are two parts to this marinade.
Firstly the chicken needs to be marinated in the honey soy marinade for at least 2 hours preferably overnight.
The second part is the honey soy marinade needs to be cooked in a pot so it turns to a sauce so it can be poured over the chicken and half of it will be used to baste the chicken while cooking as well.
The reason why we need to cook the marinade to make the sauce is that the marinade it self will be liquid but cooking it and adding corn flour will make it thick and lucious and will have enough body to be glazed as well.
You can also check my other dinner recipes
Watch how to make homemade honey and soy chicken
Step by step recipe on how to make homemade honey and soy chicken
Homemade Easy Honey And Soy Chicken
- BBQ or grill pan
- 4 Chicken thigh fillets
Honey soy Marinade
- 50 g Honey
- 150 g Light Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Garlic Chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger Chopped
- 10 g Vinegar White
- 50 g Brown sugar
Cornflour mix ( Slurry)
- 1 tbsp Corn flour
- 2 tbsp Water
Honey soy marinade
- In a small bowl mix all marinade ingredients together and mix well until the sugar has dissolved and honey is liquid and mixed well
- Divide the marinade into 2 parts, use 1 part to marinade the chicken and pour the rest of the marinade into a saucepan to make the sauce
- To marinate the chicken, use a freezer bag, add the chicken into the freezer bag and pour the marinade inside, close seal and massage the bag, so all of the marinade is well dispersed and coated in the chicken. Leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours preferably overnight
Honey soy sauce for serving and basting
- In a small bowl mix together cornflour and water and make a slurry. Leave aside until needed ( The mix will get thicken if kept for too long, so make sure to give it a good stir before adding to the sauce)
- With the rest of the marinade in the saucepan, place it on a medium fire and let it come to a boil
- Once the marinade is boiling, add the cornflour mix into the marinade and cook on a low fire for 2 minutes, you will see the sauce thickening instantly after 2 minutes take it off the fire
Cooking the chicken
- Once the chicken is well marinated, heat a pan with oil on high heat( grill pan preferably) once the pan is well heated, pan fry the chicken on one side, leave it for 2 minutes, then grill on the other side for 2 minutes, use half of the cooked sauce to baste the chicken while cooking. keep basting and cooking on both sides every 2 minutes until cooked through( Use a brush to baste the chicken)
- Top the chicken with sesame seeds, spring onion and the reserved cooked sauce to pour over
6 thoughts on “Homemade Easy Honey And Soy Chicken”
Honey and soy is probably my favourite sauce for chicken but I never think to make it at home – can’t try to give this one a go!
it’s so good homemade, more honey flavour is always a good thing 🙂
Such a classic flavour flavour combination. This is my go to whenever I’m making stir fry, so much nicer than buying it 🙂
So true. It’s always good homemade 🙂
Can the honey in the recipe be replaced with kithul peni from Sri Lanka ?
Definitely, you can, but it will not have the same honey soy taste, but I am sure it will taste good and will have the sweet and savoury balance. I always love a bit of fusion 🙂