This is my favourite go-to pizza recipe that is soft and delicious. This is the kind of pizza that is not too thin or thick. I just like my pizza to have a medium thickness, I don’t necessarily want it to be paper-thin, honestly, without a wood fire oven, there is no point to make thin-crust pizza as it will not get the same taste as the wood-fired pizza.
In this recipe, I will show how pizza to make pepperoni pizza from scratch. You might not go to pizza hut or dominos any more to eat pizza when you can make a better pizza at home and this recipe will literally blow your mind off.
How long does it take to cook pizza in the oven?
15 minutes maximum. sounds easy and quick, isn’t it?
Home-made pepperoni pizza ingredients
The toppings for a pepperoni pizza is very basic, pizza sauce for the base, pepperoni and mozzarella and that’s it!!! I have also added mushrooms in my pizza, just because they were laying around in my fridge and I had to use them
Does pepperoni have to be cooked before adding to the pizza?
No you don’t need to cook it prior, it will cook when the whole pizza is baking.
People often ask, why pizza is bad for you? the simple answer is, it is not bad for you, it’s simply the Ingredients you put in it. If you make your own pizza you know exactly what you put into it, so you can control the calories and modify it to be a healthy pizza. I eat homemade pizza at least once a week and its such an easy dish to make.
What sauce goes on a pizza?
There are only two types of bases either Tomato base; simple passata sauce or White sauce base: usually a bechamel sauce (Pizza sauce with no tomato)
In this recipe, we will use a tomato-based sauce. Now if you want to make the pizza sauce from scratch then try my homemade pizza sauce, but usually, I don’t have the luxury of time to be making my own pizza sauce, then I use canned or jarred tomato sauce
What other ingredients can go on a pizza?
There is no hard and fast rule, what can go on a pizza, but usually, the below ingredients are added on top of the pizza. as long as it can be cooked fast you can add it on to the pizza. Never add leaves (rocket leaves) and bake it in the oven, if you add prosciutto or rocket, it needs to be added after it is baked in the oven.
What kind of cheese is used on Pizza
Mozerella is traditionally used to cover the pizza because it is quite a stretchy cheese that can be pulled apart.
Can Pizza be made ahead or frozen?
You can definitely make pizza ahead (uncooked version) and store in the fridge overnight or freeze it. You can bake it when needed.
I make the pizza dough, top with all ingredients including the cheese and place it on round cake trays, cling wrap them and freeze it. This allows me to have a cheat meal when I feel like it or just have an easy dinner solution ready to go in the freezer.
You can also try my focaccia recipe ( Italian flatbread ) and other dinner recipes
Watch how to make home-made pepperoni pizza
Step by step recipe how to make home-made pepperoni pizza
Homemade Pepperoni Pizza
- 500 g All- purpose flour
- 325 ml Warm water tap water
- 7 g Yeast Instant yeast
- 1 tsp Salt Table salt
- Drizzle of Olive oil Can substitute to vegetable or canola oil
- 200 g Pizza sauce Use my recipe or use tinned tomato sauce
- 100 g Mozzarella cheese
- 100 g Pepperoni or Topping of your choice (see above for recommendation)
- Mix Yeast, and water and leave aside for 10 minutes until it froths
- Mix together flour, salt, olive oil and add in the yeast mix
- Knead the dough for 5-8 mins until smooth
- Shape it to a log shape and portion it into 4 equal pieces
- Using your palm in a circular motion, make smooth balls by pressing it downwards and rotating it in one place
- Dust a tray with flour and place the dough balls on the tray leaving sufficient gaps in between. Cover with a damp cloth, let it rise in a warm area until doubled in size
- Once doubled in size dust flour to the work surface and the dough and pull the dough with your hands to stretch & shape the dough ( can flatten the dough using a rolling pin as well)
- Place the flattened dough on a pizza tray or on a flat oven tray lined with baking paper
- Apply 1/4 cup of pizza sauce on the pizza dough base then top it up with any toppings of your choice, finally, add mozzarella cheese to cover the pizza
- Preheat oven to 250C / 482F ( conventional )
- Once preheated, cook the pizza for 10-12 mins
- Cut into wedges, serve immediately
5 thoughts on “Homemade Pepperoni Pizza”
Can I use baking powder as a substitute for yeast?
Not for this recipe.