Nasi goreng fried rice means ” fried rice” But make no mistake this is no ordinary fried rice this is the famous fried rice that is known all around the world. From which country does the rice dish Nasi Goreng originate? It is originated from Indonesia hence why it is also called Indonesian fried rice as well
You can also order this nasi goreng through my website, click here to order now
What made Indonesian fried rice nasi goreng become the most famous fried rice in the world? actually, I am yet to find out why this fried rice is the world’s famous fried rice. Did you know if you go to any chain hotel around the world, they will have nasi goreng in their a la carte menu or room service menu? That’s how popular it is.
Now what I never understood is, In Indonesia, nasi goreng is served differently with tomato and cucumber on the side, but in any five-star hotel we serve it with nasi goreng rice, satay chicken, prawn skewers, prawn crackers, topped with a sunny side egg and cucumber and carrot pickle.
What is nasi goreng fried rice
Nasi goreng fried rice is basically a bowl of spicy fried rice. You can make it with different proteins, most commonly chicken nasi goreng and prawns nasi goreng. But I have made a vegetarian nasi goreng recipe. If you wish to add meat, then simply add meat during the nasi goreng paste cooking process.
What does nasi goreng mean in Indonesian?
It directly translates to ‘Fried rice”
What is the difference between Thai fried rice and Nasi Goreng from Indonesia?
What makes it different is that the nasi goreng rice has a deep brown colour that comes from soy sauce and kecap manis that gives a sweet and salty nasi goreng taste mixed with a hint of spice, which helps to caramelise the sauce and give a distinguished flavour. Whereas Thai fried rice and other fried rice would not have kecap manis in the dish.
When working as a chef because this is a universal dish, I have made this dish in every country and can I let you on in a little secret, no one makes a better nasi goreng than the ones served in Sri Lanka of course except Indonesia. So this recipe that I am sharing with you is actually from the time I used to work in Sri Lanka to be more specific from Hilton Colombo.
Nasi Goreng fried rice
I am going to tell you guys a little secret. Have you ever wondered how do you get a nasi goreng in 20 minutes when you order it? We as chefs do two things. In Sri Lanka, we used to make the nasi goreng paste in bulk and keep it, so when an order comes, we would then mix it with the rice, this is the best way to prepare and I will tell you why.
let’s say you want to prepare this for a gathering or to entertain guests? then all you have to do is fry the rice a la minute and then mix it with the nasi goreng paste. I am a big advocate of cooking ‘a la minute’.
I hate microwaving meals for guests. I like to finish off the cooking just in time before serving and that’s how we do in any kitchen. And if you ever visit my house as a guest, I don’t like it, if you don’t eat straight away after I serve because the food gets cold and definitely don’t make the chef mad haha hahaha
Nasi goreng ingredients
Like I mention before there are 2 parts to this recipe.
- Nasi goreng paste (Nasi goreng spice mix) can be made days in advance and even frozen
- Nasi goreng rice mix
Nasi goreng paste
Don’t try to substitute any ingredients
Dark Soy sauce: This is what gives that beautiful dark coloured rice
Shrimp paste: Honestly I know this doesn’t smell great but when mixed in the nasi goreng it takes the whole recipe to a next level. As you can see in the image I use the above brand and I think it is the only popular brand in Australia. Before using it, You need to pond it in a mortar pestle or chop it up.
Nasi goreng rice
Rice for nasi goreng
I can’t stress enough, this needs to be one day old, the reason being, one-day-old rice is dry and hard which makes it perfect for fried rice and can mould and fry the way you want. What happens with same day rice or hot rice is it is too fresh which means you won’t have a bowl of fried rice rather a bowl of sticky soggy rice and you don’t want that. Use a good quality Wok when making fried rice. I have linked one here
What do I do if I forget to prepare rice the day before for Nasi goreng?
Then you quickly boil the rice spread it onto a tray so it is flatly laid then uncover and keep it in the fridge for at least 1 hour to dry out.
How to cook nasi goreng rice
What type of rice to use for nasi goreng fried rice?
Basmathi rice is the best rice to use for nasi goreng fried rice or any long grain rice
Nasi goreng menu
- Chilli chicken
- Egg salad or a sunny side fried egg
- Chop suey
- Prawn crackers
- Satay chicken
- Grilled prawns
- Vegetable pickle
- Chilli paste
How to store nasi goreng fried rice
You can definitely store the whole nasi goreng fried rice in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Or store the nasi goreng paste in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze it for up to 12 months.
How to reheat indonesian fried rice
If you have leftover nasi goreng fried rice reheat in the microwave or if you are using the nasi goreng paste then reheat the same way you would make the nasi goreng fried rice and if the paste is frozen defrost in the fridge prior to use.
You can also check my other dinner recipes here
Step by step guide on how to make nasi goreng fried rice
- Large Pan or a Wok
- 1 Large carrot Cut into dice
- 1 Celery stalk Cut into dice
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger Chopped
- 2 teaspoon Oil Canola, Vegetable, sunflower
- 4 teaspoon Kecap Manis (ABC sauce) Substitute Oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoon Shrimp paste
- 2 teaspoon Dark soy sauce
- 4 Tablespoon Light soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato paste
- 2 tsp White sugar
- Tablespoon Chilli paste or chilli flakes
(Step 2) Nasi Goreng Rice
- 4 Tablespoon Oil
- 250 g White Rice ( Basmathi rice) (A day old rice, refer to notes above)
- 200 g Nasi goreng paste ( Step 1)
- 2 Eggs Lightly whisked
- 3 Tablespoon Spring onion Thinly sliced
Nasi goreng paste
- Heat a large pan or wok with oil. Add Onion, garlic, ginger saute until cooked
- Add carrots, Celery and saute further for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are cooked and soft but still a bit crunchy
- Add all the remaining nasi goreng paste ingredients and cook for 1 minute. Take off the fire and leave aside until needed
Nasi goreng rice
- Heat a large pan or wok with oil. Once heated add the old rice and fry the rice until it is a bit fried and you get a good aroma of fried rice (This should take approximately 3 minutes) Keep moving the rice on the fire so it wouldn't get burnt
- Move the rice onto the side, then add 2 tbsp of oil, and add eggs, cook well until it is scrambled, then mix it in with the rice
- Add the nasi goreng paste, mix well until incorporated, sprinkle spring onion and serve