Imagine yourself sinking into a big juicy homemade hamburger. your face smothered in sauce and all that lipstick and makeup need to be redone???? well, that’s the kind of burger you are going to get with this recipe.
Now hamburgers are a personal choice, you can simply top it up with anything. If there is someone that is a pro in making burgers, that should be me. When I was working as a chef in Shangri- La Sydney, I had to make burgers every day and believe me when I say this I made it from scratch. mincing the meat, sauteing the onions and shaping the burgers. I am giving the same exact way that I used to make burgers in Shangri La and this way you would get the juiciest hamburger.
Then when I started my career in product development I found that the burgers I get in supermarkets are simply not like a gourmet burger that you would normally get at a burger joint or a steakhouse, I was at a quest of finding the best burger. But again doing it for retail is very different from doing it at home. so I have found the perfect way to make a good juicy burger.
How to make mc Donald’s hamburgers at home?
Many supermarkets in Australia have nailed in making the secret big mac sauce, now if you want to go a bit further and have a burger similar to the big mac, use the big mac sauce and also use pickles (Gherkins). Gherkins will always give that punch of flavour and I always add them when building my burger.
What’s the secret in making the best juicy hamburger?
Its simply using fatty meat. I do this trick for my bolognese and lasagne because having fatty meat is simply the best way to get a juicy burger and you don’t need anything else. I know some people put eggs or breadcrumbs to bind the burger, you don’t need any of that with this recipe. It’s going to be a pure 100% beef burger
If you are in Australia, use the regular beef mince, not the lean beef mince
What cut of meat to use?
So if you can go to a butcher and mince your own cut of meat or mince your own meat at home, then definitely use beef chuck, because beef chuck has a good amount of fat percentage which definitely gives a good moist burger
How to cook a hamburger?
The best way is to either grill or pan-fry. Now you can definitely cook it on the BBQ but what I find hard is that on a BBQ you cannot control the fire (heat) it will always be on high heat and since you need a good juicy burger, it’s important to have a certain height (3 mm at-least) so when cooking in a BBQ it can burn quite easily.
When cooking in a pan you can start with high heat to get the caramelisation on both sides then reduce to medium heat for it to be cooked through.
Never press it down to cook faster as this will release all the fat and juices, which will result in a dry burger.
Also using fatty meat will definitely release more fat into the pan, use the same fat and baste the burger so you can have a very juicy burger.
No Burger is complete without having the perfect burger bun, click here to get brioche-style burger bun recipe that is soft.
There are many varieties of burgers ;
- Grilled Chicken burger
- Crispy chicken burger
- Vegetable burger
Accompaniments to build a burger;
- Caramalised onions
- Fried eggs
- Pickled Beetroot
- Pickles (Gherkins)
You can also try my other dinner recipes
Watch how to make the juicy burger
- 250 g Mince Beef Fatty mincemeat
- 1 Brown onion Chopped
- 2 Garlic clove Chopped
- 1 tsp Dried Herbs
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Pepper To taste
- Heat a pan with oil on a medium heat
- Add in the chopped onions, chopped garlic and cook until soft and cooked well
- In a bowl mix beef mince, cooked onion mixture, salt, pepper, dried herbs until well incorporated
- Separate beef into 2 equal portions. Each burger patty should weigh 150-160gUse hands to lightly form into patties or you can also use round cutters to shape it into patties
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp oil on medium heat. Add patties and cook on one side for 6 minutes Do not press! Flip carefully and cook for further 6-7 mins, when the burger patty is fully cooked, place the slice of cheese on top of the burger patty and cook for further 30 minutes until cheese has melted.
- Slice the burger bun in half, apply mayonnaise on the buns, place the burger patty with melted cheese, add in any accompaniments and enjoy