Prawn taco with coleslaw is a dish that includes zesty and a little bit spicy prawns char-grilled to perfection, built with creamy coleslaw and fresh coriander leaves.
I am sure many of you have this on a regular basis as taco Tuesdays or Wednesdays. The reason why tacos are so popular during the weekdays is that they are extremely easy, fast and convenient to do on weekdays. Talk about convenient weekday meals, well this dish definitely got to be on the top of the list.
I also have to admit, I love doing this dish for a large crowd as well because it’s “Do it your self” type of dish which means less preparation for me and the guests love a bit of action and excitement. Talk about family BBQ, OMG!!! this is literally a game-changer because it is simple to make, great to throw on the BBQ and all you need is some slaw to accompany it with. So next time someone asks you what are you bringing for the BBQ, you got to say prawn tacos.
How to make prawn tacos
There is 3 components for the prawn taco
- Prawns- I will be marinating the prawns with chipotle marinade as it gives a bit of spiciness to the dish, if not you can also just marinate with salt, pepper, garlic and lemon juice also known as garlic prawns.
- Coleslaw – Shredded vegetables mixed with coleslaw dressing
- Tortilla wraps – The main component that holds everything together
Easy entertaining with prawn tacos on the BBQ
When I say it’s easy it literally means can be prepared in less than 10 minutes. So this is what I do, I marinate the prawns and leave it in the fridge ( I will only cook them when I am ready to serve the whole dish. There are ready-made slaw mixes ( only the veg) available in supermarkets but I like to cut my own because I find the supermarket ones are quite thick. Find my foolproof creamy coleslaw recipe here.
Make a coleslaw dressing and leave it in the fridge until needed. Tortillas can be pre-bought from the supermarket as well, or if you cannot find it or you have some extra time in your hands, why not make your own tortillas it’s super easy. Click here for my homemade tortilla recipe.
When serving guests, heat tortillas on the BBQ, just to get a few grill marks and to warm them up. Grill the marinated prawns on the BBQ and dress the salad with the coleslaw dressing. You cannot make this salad and keep for a long time, hence why you need to mix it just before serving, when kept for a long time the slaw will not be crunchy any more and will be wilted ( some may prefer the salad wilted as well)
What to serve with prawn taco
- Guacamole – Avacado dip
- Taco sauce
- Fresh Coriander leaves
- Tomato and corn salsa
Marinade for prawn taco
I will be marinating the prawns with chipotle marinade as it gives a bit of spiciness to the dish, if not you can also just marinate with salt, pepper, garlic and lemon. You can definitely do your own marinade with any type of spices you find in the pantry or there is even taco seasoning that is pre-made you can buy, they taste extremely good as well. But I highly recommend my chipotle and lime marinade as this is going to blow off your mind and you will never use another marinade ever again.
How to chargrill prawns
If you don’t have a BBQ, you can use a grill pan or even a normal fry pan to chargrill prawns. The chargrill marks add flavour and most definitely makes it visually appealing. The following tips will ensure you get charred marks on the prawns.
- Make sure the pan is extra hot
- use little oil, if you add alot of oil it will not chargrill the prawns
- Do not overcrowd the pan or grill by adding in too many prawns into the pan. When there are too many prawns in the pan, the prawns don’t have space to chargrill instead it gets boiled and releases moisture
You can also check my other dinner recipes
Watch how to make prawn tacos with coleslaw
Step by Step recipe how to make prawn tacos with coleslaw
Prawn tacos with Coleslaw
- Grill pan/ BBQ/ Flat pan
- 1 tbsp Chipotle marinade Substitute with paprika or chilli powder
- 2 tbsp Lemon/ Lime juice
- 2 tbsp Oil Olive oil, Canola, vegetable
- 1/4 tsp Salt Table salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper Black crushed
- 1 tbsp Garlic Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Coriander leaves chopped
- 200 g Prawns
- 200 g Coleslaw Click the link below for coleslaw recipe
- 2-3 Sprigs Fresh coriander leaves
- 4 Tortilla wraps ( store-bought)
- In a small bowl, add the prawns and all ingredients for the prawn marinade, mix well with a spoon until prawns are well coated with the marinade. Leave aside for 30 minutes to marinade.
- Heat a grill pan/ flat pan on high heat add 1 tsp of Oil, Once well heated add the prawns into the pan and cook on the grill one side for 1-2 minute and the other side for 1-2 minute until cooked through and char marks are visible. Take off the heat once cooked.
- Into the same pan, place the tortilla bread to heat up and the tortilla wraps also get a bit of charring ( maximum 30 seconds one side)
- Place the heated tortilla bread on a flat surface, add coleslaw in the middle, then top it up with the grilled prawns finally garnish with coriander leaves
1 thought on “Prawn Tacos With Coleslaw”