The steak and mushroom sauce recipe is a very classic dish but it’s rather a forgotten dish in today’s world. But I am here to remind you that this is one of the best combos to have at home or a steakhouse. trust me once you try this recipe, you will have this over and over again.
Steak and Mushroom sauce Recipe
Working in France I was so used to eating steak just with jus ( Basically it’s a beef broth reduction) it taste so good but requires so much time and effort. But when I came to Australia and worked in pubs and steakhouses I realized there are 4 main sauces that you can order with your steak, chicken schnitzel, grilled chicken, etc. and mushroom sauce was one of them. The creaminess of this sauce complements well with red meat.
Steak and Mushroom sauce Ingredients
To cook a good steak all you need is a good quality steak, further down in my article I have explained the cuts of meat that are considered good. Salt, pepper, garlic, thyme and butter. That’s all you need to cook a good, juicy flavourful steak.
Mushroom sauce Ingredients
Here is the trick, you can make 2 sauces out of this base, one is creamy mushrooms sauce the other is creamy peppercorn sauce, to make peppercorn sauce simply take out the mushrooms and you will have peppercorn sauce
This mushroom sauce goes with anything. Add it on grilled chicken, chicken schnitzel, grilled fish. It is so flavoursome.
how to make steak and mushroom sauce
Making steak and mushrooms sauce is easy and requires only one pan. The reason why we use the same pan that the steak was cooked to make the sauce is, the meat itself will release so much flavour from the fat. And using that as a base will build up the final flavour of the sauce. Don’t bother washing your pan, simply use the same pan to make your sauce. Well, less washing as well so it’s a win-win.
Also finally adding in the resting juice from the steak is the key to optimum flavour. building flavour little by little into the final sauce.
The Essential Equipment Needed To Make
- Chef knife
- Cast iron pan
- Meat Thermometer
what to serve with steak and mushroom sauce
- Usually a salad or grilled vegetables such as green beans with fetta, Grilled carrots, Greek salad, garden salad
- A carb is a must such as mashed potato or roast potatoes
- Bread such as garlic bread, cheesy bread, focaccia, bread rolls
favorite steak sauce
- Jus (Most popular)
- Red wine jus
- Mushroom sauce
- Peppercorn sauce
- Sauce Diane ( mustard, Worcestershire, cream, and cognac)
- Bearnaise sauce
What kind of Beef to use
It is very important to use good quality beef. When it comes to red meat the quality is very important, unlike chicken. Beef has different grades such as wagyu, A5, Marble scores, dry-aged But there are also premium cuts that are only used for grilling such as
- Tenderloin (Filet mignon, eye filet)
- Scotch steak
- Porterhouse ( Sirloin/ striploin)
- Rib eye
All other cuts are secondary cuts that are good for stewing, braising, and stir fry dishes
How to cook steak like a chef
I have spent years and years cooking steak and perfecting every doneness of a steak such as bleu, rare, medium-rare, medium, and well-done.
The doneness of steak: Cool story, when you spend years in the kitchen cooking steak you can automatically tell the doneness of the steak by just touching the steak. the softer it is considered to be on the rare side but the harder the meat it is on the medium-well side. Well, that only comes with experience so for you all as home cooks you can use a temperature probe and use the below chart as a guide according to the doneness you require.
Remove from heat at this temperature
|Final cooked temperature|
|Rare||48ºC / 118ºF||50ºC / 120ºF|
|Medium Rare||52ºC / 125ºF||54ºC / 130ºF|
|Medium||58ºC / 136ºF||60ºC / 140ºF|
|Medium Well||62ºC / 143ºF||65ºC / 140ºF|
|Well Done||68ºC / 154F||70ºC / 160ºF|
Pan: You also need a good pan. DO NOT USE NON-STICK. It is better to use a cast iron pan, which is the best, not everyone can afford a cast iron pan so in professional kitchens what works best is an old non-stick pan that is not non-stick anymore works really well for steaks.
Basting with Butter: This is one of the ways we cook steaks in a professional kitchen, basting with butter adds so much flavour.
How To Reheat steak and mushroom sauce
Unfortunately, steak is not something that can be reheated because it will turn rubbery and overcooked. but if you have leftovers and have to reheat them then the microwave is the best option. Steaks have to be cooked just before serving.
You can also check my other recipes here
Step By Step Guide On How To Make Steak and Mushroom sauce
Steak And Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- Cast iron pan
- 2 Steaks
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil Canola or any other vegetable oil but preferably olive oil
- 2 tbsp Onion Chopped (Brown onion)
- 1 clove Garlic Chopped
- 4 Mushrooms (button) Sliced
- 1 tsp Thyme Chopped
- 30 ml Brandy (optional)
- 185 ml Beef stock
- 50 ml Cream (Cooking, thicken cream)
- 2 tbsp Peppercorn (Black)
- 1 tsp Flour
Cooking the steak
- To cook the steak firstly place the cast iron pan on medium heat with 1 tbsp of oil. The pan should be heated well before cooking the steak. The pan should be smoking hot2 Steaks
- Season each side of the steak generously with salt and pepper, Chopped garlic, thyme and 1 tbsp of olive oil then immediately place in the skillet.The pan should sizzle when the steak is placed on the pan.
- Cook for 2 – 2.5 minutes until you get a great crust, then turn. and cook for further 2- 2.5 minutes.
- During the last 1 minute of cooking push steaks to one side and place the butter into the pan As soon as the butter is melted, continuously spoon the butter over the steak until it's cooked to your liking
- Transfer steak to a plate and cover loosely with foil, rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Into the same pan that the steak was cooked add onion, garlic and saute for 1 minute until soft
- Then add the mushrooms and cook further until brown and soft. This should be brown in colour.
- Then add the flour cook for 1 minute
- Then add the cognac, let it reduce for 1 minute
- Add beef stock, herbs , peppercorn and cook until reduced and thickened
- Finally, add the cream and reduce it further until you have a thick and glossy sauce. Check seasoning and adjust seasoning if required.
- There will be steak juice that will be leftover on the plate where the steak was resting. pour that into the sauce ( This will add so much flavour)
- Pour it over the steak and serve immediately