I have been wanting to do a simple vanilla cupcake recipe for some time now, But other recipes always were prioritised. Ok, I am about to burst your bubble now. Many vanilla cakes or butter cake recipes can be used as cupcake recipes, the only difference is the oven temperature, time and a few other hot tips and tricks, that I am about to share with you all.
Simple Vanilla cupcake recipe
Fluffy vanilla cupcake topped with my basic icing for cupcakes is the perfect addition to any birthday parties, get together, gifts or even for afternoon tea. Making cupcakes from scratch is in fact really easy, can be done in less than 20 minutes and honestly please stay away from those boxed cupcake mixes that are sold in supermarkets.
My full-time job is actually being a developer for food and I know what goes into products and how manufacturers make products, box cupcake mixes can be convenient but it is definitely not the best option.
The first cake I learnt to bake was a butter cake, and this recipe is in fact my butter cake recipe. Why have I used the same recipe is because it is an easy cupcake recipe for beginners, It is moist and surely the most delicious cupcake recipe
Ingredients for cupcakes
To get an Easy icing recipe for cupcakes click here. I can guarantee this is the only American buttercream recipe you will ever need. I have given hot tips to make the fluffiest, creamiest buttercream ever.
How to bake cupcakes
Baking cupcakes is pretty simple. You need to use cake liners. Then you must use muffin tins. Using muffin tins will ensure you hold the cupcakes rigid and it will hold their form in the oven.
How to decorate vanilla cupcakes
- Chocolate melts
How to store simple vanilla cupcakes
Store cupcakes without the icing for up to 2-3 days. Cover with a cling wrap or store in an airtight container to keep them fresh. When you are ready to serve them top them up with vanilla buttercream icing. I usually like to make my icing fresh as it tastes better on the day of making it.
Buttercreams that can be used for vanilla cupcakes
- Chocolate American buttercream
- Chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream
- Vanilla American buttercream
- Coffee and caramel buttercream
Common mistakes made when making a basic vanilla cupcake recipe
Butter, Butter, Butter!!!! butter needs to be the correct softness in order to get the softest cake. I cannot emphasise this enough!!!
Most people fail to make this recipe perfect, as butter plays a huge role. The butter needs to be at room temperature. Don’t ever microwave it to soften it, as this will make the cake oily. The best is to cut the butter into small cubes and keep it at room temperature until it’s soft. But if you are in a country where it is cold and it’s winter then there is spreadable butter in supermarkets and I use that, I don’t keep it at room temperature, I use it straight from the fridge because it’s already softened.
You can also mix it in a stand mixer to get it to soften.
Can I use a cupcake recipe for a full-size cake?
Yes, you can use this recipe for a full-size cake. I also have the same butter cake recipe, that has exact cook times and temperatures.
What should cupcake batter look like in a basic vanilla cupcake recipe?
It should be a semi-thick batter. It should be scoopable but not too thick or runny.
How can I give flavour to my cake if I forgot to add vanilla extract
Vanilla is a key ingredient in a VANILLA CUPCAKE RECIPE. However yes sometimes, we do forget to add the key ingredient. Don’t worry I have done this mistake too. But in case you do, then add vanilla to the buttercream, this will help rectify the issue.
Step by step guide on how to make simple vanilla cupcake recipe
Simple Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
- 125 g Butter Unsalted, Room temperature
- 125 g Sugar White, caster
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 125 g All- purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 35 g Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Oil Canola, sunflower, vegetable
- Pre-heat oven to 180C. Line a muffin tray with cupcake liners. you don't need to butter or oil the liners.
- In a Cake mixer with the pallet attachment, mix the butter until creamy, soft and fluffy ( Please refer to the notes above regarding butter as this is a crucial element in getting the perfect fluffy cupcakes)
- Once the butter is soft, add the sugar mix until creamy
- Then add the eggs, vanilla (At this point it will look like scrambled eggs, trust me it will get better after the flour is added)
- Reduce speed and add sifted flour, baking powder until mixed through(don't overbeat it)
- Finally, add milk and oil and mix for 30 seconds until mixed through
- Scoop 3/4 of mix into the cupcake liners ( Do not overfill as it will rise in the oven)
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until cooked through and a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- This recipe will make approximately 8-10 cupcakes. Cooldown and decorate with vanilla buttercream icing and enjoy