Easy Mexican beef quesadilla recipe is one of the mid-week dinner solution that is quite popular in my household. who doesn’t go crazy over Crispy tortillas stuffed with spicy Mexican flavoured beef mix, topped with stringy cheese? I will also share tips to get crispy quesadillas. read below to find out.
What is a beef quesadilla?
Quesadilla is originally a Mexican dish which literally means ‘little cheesy things’. I don’t know one person who would resist quesadillas it’s just to die for. After all, it’s like a stuffed sandwich but made with crispy tortillas, stuffed with a protein, in this case, beef mince and vegetables topped with cheese and when you grill it in the pan it just melts and has the cheese oozing.
How do you make beef quesadillas taste better?
The taste of the quesadilla depends on the crispiness of the tortilla and the filling also not forgetting the cheese, anything tastes good when there is cheese
Should a quesadilla be crunchy?
Yes, that is what makes it tasty too. it needs to be crunchy yet a moist and juicy filling with stretchy cheese.
Why does quesadillas turn soggy?
Ok, this is the trick, when you pan fry the quesadillas, you need to make sure that you use less amount of oil or butter. Butter actually gives better colour and makes it crispy too. so add a little amount of butter and toast it in the pan until it has a uniform light toast brown colour all over.
Do I grease the pan for quesadilla?
Yes, you need to grease the pan, but only a little.
How do you flip a quesadilla in a pan?
once one side is toasted, it is definitely easy to flip it on to the other side using a flat spatula.
Can quesadillas be made ahead of time?
Yes, they can be made ahead of time, But you will need to toast them just before serving to keep them ultra crunchy. If not you can toast them and just before serving, reheat it in a hot oven until warm.
How do you cut a quesadilla?
Quesadillas once made will look like a half circle, cut it right in the middle, so it represents a triangular shape
What to put in quesadillas
Typically vegetables, such as corn, capsicum, onion, a protein and cheese is put inside quesadillas.
What to serve with quesadilla
You can serve an avocado dip like guacamole, sour cream or a tomato salsa
How to fill quesadillas
The step by step instructions are below. first it needs to be filled with the beef mixture, then topped with cheese, then toasted on both sides.
How to cook quesadillas
Quesadillas need to be toasted in the pan to get all the cheese melting and oozing out. After the quesadillas are assembled then it needs to be folded in two and pan-fried until its crispy and golden brown in colour.
What kind of cheese is used in quesadilla?
Traditionally a Mexican soft cheese is used but we can use mozzarella because it’s stringy and stretchy and it holds its shape well when toasted in the pan.
What kind of spices are used for the quesadilla beef filling
It’s a simple marinade that will be used in this recipe and this marinade can be also used for the vegetarian version and chicken version.
Different type of quesadillas
- Beef Quesadilla
- Chicken quesadilla
- Vegetable quesadilla
I will be making a beef quesadilla, you can alter the protein as you wish. I will also be making quesadillas from scratch which means I will show how to make tortillas, Honestly, you can buy corn tortillas from the store. we all don’t have the luxury of time to be making our own tortillas but I prefer homemade tortillas any day over store-bought ones. It’s just not soft as the homemade one. But of course, I do have days that I would just buy the store ready-made tortillas.
So is it easy to make tortillas from scratch? you will be surprised to know, that it is so easy to make them and the best part is you will not need yeast and wait for long for it to rise.
You can also try my other Lunch/Dinner recipes
Watch the video how to make a quesadilla
Step by step recipe how to make a quesadilla
Easy Mexican Beef Quesadilla Recipe
- 200 g All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 33 g Butter Melted
- 118 g Water Boiling
- 1/2 tsp Salt Table
Taco seasoning mix
- 1 tsp Mixed herbs dried
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper or chilli powder
- 2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt Table salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper powder
- 1 tsp Sweet paprika powder
Beef Mix recipe
- 250 g Beef Mince
- 1/2 Brown onion Chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger Chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic Chopped
- 1/2 cup Tinned crushed tomato
- 125 g Corn kernels Tinned or frozen
- 1 Bell pepper/ Capsicum Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Water Tap water
- 100 g Mozzarella cheese Grated
- Mix all dough ingredients together and knead for 3-5 minutes until a dough is formed
- Portion the dough into equal size balls
- Using your palm in a circular motion, make smooth balls by pressing it downwards and rotating it in one place. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and leave aside for 30 minutes
- Once the dough is rested, flatten the dough to a circular shape using a rolling pin (don't add too much of flour as it is important to keep the dough soft)
- Heat a pan on a medium heat without oil
- Place the dough inside the pan. after 2-3 minutes, there will be air bubbles on one side which means the dough is perfectly made. Turn around and cook further 2 minutes until cooked
Cook the beef mixture
- In a small bowl add all of the taco seasoning mix ingredients.Mix well with a spoon and leave aside
- Heat a pan on a medium heat with 2 tbsp of oil
- Add onion, garlic, capsicum and cook until soft, then add the beef mince and cook well
- Add in the corn, spices, tomato puree and water and let it cook on a medium fire until the sauce is thick. Take off the fire and leave aside.
Assembling the quesadilla
- Place one tortilla at a time on a plate, add 1/2 cup of beef mixture onto the middle of the tortilla, add a handful of cheese and fold it in half
- Heat a pan on medium heat with oil
- Place the folded quesadilla on the pan and cook until brown and crispy then turn around and cook until brown and crispy
- Cut into half and serve warm