The easy valentine cookie recipe is delicious, screams the 4 letter word “LOVE’ and most of all gift-worthy. Alright, Valentine’s day around the corner and thinking of a gift for your special loved one? well stop overthinking it, the way to a man’s or woman’s heart is through their stomach. I am not sure if I just made that up or do we really have saying like that????
I have to confess, I am a die-hard valentine fan hahaha. sounds lame right hahaha well, to be honest growing up in a country like Sri Lanka, it was not easy to express how you feel about someone very easily, well at least during my time, so I would eagerly wait until Valentine’s day to at least get a gift and believe me I made a huge deal of this day!!!
After finding the love of my life who I am married to now, let’s call him Mr ‘S” I did still make a huge deal about V day. I guess this is something I got from my parents until today they celebrate this magical day.
My dad was a chef and he didn’t get to always take my mum out for dinner, because he had to make sure the other valentines who come for dinner in the hotel have a good time, so whenever he came home it was late, but he would always bring home the special valentine set menu that was served in the hotel, so he would plate it up and serve it to me, my mum and my brother. My mum would get roses and I would get a little teddy bear every valentines day. ohhh my dad was a romantic man!!!!
The reason I thought of doing a valentines day edible gift recipe is that in the case of my mum, she had nothing to give my dad for V day hahaha what do you give a man who has everything!!! so she always cooked for him, and that made him happy more than a gift, so I kind of adapted the same principle in life. I get roses every year and I make something love shaped for my hubby, a way to my man’s heart is definitely through food. hahhahaha
Valentine cookie ideas
There are many valentine cookie recipes, you can do sugar cookies, jam-filled cookies, choco chip cookies, but since I have done all the above-mentioned cookie recipes, I thought I will do a jam-filled cookie recipe. But if you want to make the other cookie recipes, just follow my recipe and cut them into heart shapes.
Jam filled cookie recipie
This is a basic cookie recipe and the dominant flavour is the jam. hence why it is called jam-filled cookie recipe. This can be done with different shapes and easy to assemble as well.
What type of jam can I use in jam filled cookie recipe
The colour of love is red, so I have used strawberry jam, but you can use any jam you like. There is no hard and fast rule that there is a specific jam that needs to be used.
How to store jam filled cookies
It needs to be stored in an air tight container or jar
How long can I store valentine cookies for
Since it is filled with jam, it can be only kept for 2 days, because the moisture will be absorbed into the cookies which will make it soggy. so you cannot keep them for a long time. To be honest it doesn’t last a long time in my household anyway.
Valentines day cookies
Since cutting hearts out of the cookie dough is involved, it is a bit delicate, I couldn’t find the proper sizing of the heart-shape cookie cutter, so my heart in the middle was a bit larger than what I wanted it to be, but nevertheless, the dough needs to be delicately treated because when transporting the raw cut cookies, it can get misshapen and you don’t want wobbly hearts, so use a spatula to slowly lift the cookies, or you can also bake them on the same baking paper, just make sure to leave sufficient gaps as they expand in the oven.
You can also check my other dessert and cookie recipes
Watch how to make easy Valentine cookie recipe
Step by Step recipe how to make easy Valentine cookie recipe
Easy Valentine Cookie Recipe
- 1 1/2 Eggs
- 75 g White caster sugar
- 113 g Butter Unsalted
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 272 g All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- Icing sugar
- Strawberry jam or any other jam
- Preheat oven to 160C and line a baking tray with baking paper
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix together butter and sugar until creamy
- Then add the vanilla, eggs and mix well
- Finally, add the flour and baking powder, mix until a crumbly dough is formed
- Take out the dough and place it in between an oil-paper ( baking paper)
- Flatten the dough using a rolling pin until 0.2 cm thickness
- Using a round cutter cut out circles from the dough, leaving half of the amount of dough as round shapes, use the rest of the round shapes and cut out hearts in the middle
- Delicately place them on the lined oven tray and bake for 12-15 mins until cooked and slightly brown in colour.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool down on a wire rack completely before decorating
- Once cooled down, dust all biscuits with icing sugar
- On the half of the biscuits that is a complete circle, place 1/2 tsp jam and use the heart-shaped cookie to place of the top
- Enjoy them at room temperature