This Egg Benedict recipe is made with Savoury potato waffles made using leftover boiled potatoes topped with soft poached eggs and a spicy hollandaise sauce. A great brunch idea to elevate any brunch, lunch or breakfast.
The first time I made potato waffles were in France when I was working at a Michelin star restaurant as a way of eliminating food waste. Potato is an ingredient that is used by any restaurant as a common ingredient, and most of the time, there will be so many leftover potatoes, therefore the restaurant decided to make potato waffles out of the leftover potatoes. But today savoury waffles is trending in many cafes, restaurants in their breakfast and brunch menus.
I have done a recipe using Truff hot sauce. This sauce is a blend of chilli and black truffle, it blends perfectly well with the creaminess of the poached eggs and hollandaise sauce. It has a good depth of flavour and is well balanced with sweet and sour notes which balances the overall flavour of the dish.
How to make Egg benedict?
This dish has 3 parts to it:
1. Poached eggs
2. Hollandaise sauce: in this recipe, I am making a spicy hollandaise sauce, if you want a normal hollandaise then take off the spicy sauce from the recipe
3. Muffin or in this recipe I am using savoury waffles
you also can add ham on top of the muffin, which makes it a traditional egg benedict or if you add spinach in place of the ham then it becomes an egg florentine
How to poach eggs?
Poaching eggs are super simple. A pot of water with vinegar on medium fire, then the water needs to be swirled so there is a small well created and the eggs need to be added inside the well, to really hold its shape.
How much of vinegar to add when poaching eggs?
All you need is a small pot of water add 2 tbsp of vinegar, as this will help the eggs to get a good shape, vinegar will not affect the taste of the eggs, so don’t be afraid when adding the vinegar into the water
How long to cook poached eggs?
Cook the eggs in the water for 3 minutes on medium heat. you want the eggs to ooze out once cooked and cut open.
Why are the poached eggs not held together after poaching?
There are a few reasons:
1. Eggs are not fresh, if the eggs are not fresh then it will not hold itself together
2. The vinegar in the pot is not enough, so add a little bit more as the vinegar will help the process of holding the egg together
How to make Homemade hollandaise sauce
It’s very easy to make a homemade hollandaise sauce. you need only a few ingredients and it is very important to have a clarified butter as this will have a great flavour to the hollandaise sauce and it will give a creamy texture
Can I just use melted butter for hollandaise sauce?
I don’t recommend using just melted butter as this will affect the texture of the overall sauce
What is clarified butter?
Clarified butter is separating the oil from the milk, so when you make clarified butter, there will be a thick layer of white foam that will appear on the top or bottom of the pan, which needs to be removed, The butter needs to be strained and then you will end up with a golden yellow see-through liquid.
Why does a hollandaise sauce split?
1. If the Clarified butter is too hot: the clarified butter needs to be cooled down completely before adding to the egg yolk mixture
2. If the egg yolks are not cooked enough on the double boiler
3. If the sauce is not emulsified well ( which means you cannot stop whisking while adding the clarified butter)
4. if it’s over whisked
How can I fix a split hollandaise sauce?
Every hollandaise sauce can be fixed, if you want to fix it, simply leave the split hollandaise sauce aside, start with a new clean bowl, add 2 tbsp of boiling water and add 2 tbsp split sauce into the water while whisking, this will instantly unsplit the sauce, then add the rest of the split sauce little by little into the water mix while whisking.
What other flavours can be added to the hollandaise sauce?
Potato waffle ingredients
The basic ingredients will be listed in the recipe below, but additionally, you can add the below into the waffle batter as well.
Can I use left over mashed potato?
Yes you can, but make sure since the mashed potato is made using cream or milk, add less amount of milk than stated in the recipe
What if I don’t have a waffle machine?
Don’t worry, the recipe can be converted into a pancake as well
Potato waffle recipe ideas/potato waffle toppings
Potato waffles topped with scrambled eggs
Potato waffles, with honey bacon and poached eggs
Potato waffles topped with pulled beef, pork, poached eggs and hollandaise sauce
Potato waffles sandwiched between burger patty
Potato waffle sandwiched between crispy chicken
Potato waffle sandwiched between vegetable burger patty
What meals/occasions can I have savoury waffles?
Entertaining guests (Brunch ideas)
Mini appetisers/ Finger foods
You can also check my other breakfast recipes.
Watch how to make egg benedicts on mashed potato waffles with spicy hollandaise sauce
Step by step recipe on how to make egg benedicts on mashed potato waffles with spicy hollandaise sauce
Egg Benedicts On Mashed Potato Waffles With Spicy Hollandaise Sauce
- Waffle machine
- Sauce pan
Potato Waffle/ Pancake
- 300 g Potatoes ( Around 2 big) Cooked and mashed
- 100 g Milk Fresh
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda Bicarbonate of soda
- 70 g Chopped bacon Pan fried
- 20 g Spring onion Chopped
- 30 g All-purpose flour
Chilli Hollandaise sauce
- 2 Egg yolks
- 2 tbsp White Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Truff sauce
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 100 g Unsalted butter
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp White vinegar
How to make Potato waffles
- Add all ingredients listed under potato waffles together and mix well until combined
- Heat up the waffle machine, brush some melted butter add the mixture to the waffle machine and let it cook until crispy and cooked. If you don't have a waffle machine you also can make it like a pancake. Heat up a pan with melted butter on medium heat, when the pan is hot add 1 1/2 cup of mixture and cook on both sides
- First to clarify the butter, add the butter to the pan and leave it on low fire until it has melted and has white foam on the top or bottom. Take off white foam and strain through a muslin cloth.You will be left with a clear yellow mix that looks like oil. Leave it aside to cool down completely
- On a bowl add the egg yolks, spicy sauce, salt and pepper and vinegar and mix well until well combined. Then place the bowl on a pot of boiling water (double boiler) and whisk until it is thick and creamy. (Note: eggs can get scrambled very easily so keep an eye out),
- Once it has thickened take it out of the fire and add the clarified butter little by little while whisking ( If the sauce split, check above article on how to fix it)
- Once finished, if the mixture is too thick add 2 tbsp of boiling water and whisk well until combined.
How to poach eggs
- Crack one egg into a small bowl
- Place a pot of water with 2 tbsp of white vinegar on medium fire. The water should be simmering, not boiling. swirl the water and form a well, then gently add the eggs inside and cook for 3 minutes
- Once cooked take it out using a slotted spoon, drain the excess water on a paper towel.
Assembling the Eggs benedict
- Place the waffles on a plate, place the poached eggs, then top up with the hollandaise sauce
- Serve immediately