Chicken Shawarma Will definitely tantalise your taste buds with succulent meat that is marinated with everyday spices wrapped around a soft pita bread topped with a garlic yogurt sauce, well my friend you have come to the right page because that’s exactly what I will give you in this recipe. Also some useful tips on how to make this with simple everyday pantry ingredients.
Chicken shawarma is a dish originated from the middle east but every country has shawarma shops set up all over the globe. I remember this used to be one of our after clubbing hangover snacks in France, well now that I think of it, its long long time ago but feels like yesterday. There was a popular shawarma truck set up right next to the night club I used to go when I was a student in France, oh boy sober or not that shawarma definitely ticked all the boxes years passed by and shawarma has made it to my mid-week dinner table from my nightclubbing snacking. Well, this simple shawarma has never lost it after many years.
France was not the only place I tasted shawarma, I have also travelled to the middle east quite often and I always enjoyed eating good authentic shawarma served in the middle east. I also found it very fascinating that Greece served shawarma in almost all street food restaurants.
What is shawarma made of?
Usually, its made of chicken thigh, flatbread and yogurt sauce but you can also add the following
Chicken Shawarma wrap recipe
I have given a simple 4 ingredient easy flatbread recipe that does not require yeast. It’s so convenient because if you are pressed with time, it’s so simple to make this just under 15 minutes because you don’t need to rest the dough for long.
Ingredients for Grilled chicken shawarma
The chicken will be grilled on a pan, BBQ or a grill pan. therefore the meat will be charred and carry a lot of flavours. I usually marinate the meat for 20 minutes before, but you can also marinate it the day before. This is also a great option for BBQ or picnic because you can take the chicken already marinated and throw them on the BBQ and serve with pita bread. so easy!!!
I wouldn’t worry too much about the marinade ingredients for the chicken, you can use any spices you have at home. I usually recommend using cumin as this gives a good depth of flavour. Lemon, salt and olive oil is sufficient to build enough flavour for the chicken shawarma.
What cut of chicken to use for chicken shawarma?
Always use Chicken thigh skin off and boneless as this will be succulent and moist and it absorbs flavour very easily. I will be doing a skewer with the meat but if you prefer you can just use the whole chicken thigh and after its cooked slice it up. If you are using the whole thigh without skewering the meat then only slice it after it’s cooked because if you slice and then cook it, it will be dry.
What other kinds of sauces can I add for Chicken shawarma
Garlic yogurt sauce
What to serve with shawarma
Usually its served with pita bread you can also serve it with rice and tabouli on the side
This dish is quite easy to entertain with as you can ask guests to do it
themselves. If all components are ready-made. It will definitely be a crowd-pleaser and the aroma that you get from cooking these shawarmas are truly exceptional.
You can also try my other Lunch/Dinner recipes
Watch how to make no yeast chicken shawarma-Middle Eastern
Step by step recipe on how to make no yeast chicken shawarma-Middle Eastern
Middle Eastern Chicken Shawarma Recipe No Yeast
- Pots and Pans
Flat Bread Recipe
- 225 g All-purpose flour
- 225 g Plain yogurt or curd No flavouring
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- pinch of Salt Table salt
- 4 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt Table salt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Pepper Ground
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 Lemon Juiced
- 8 tsp Oil Canola or Vegetable
- 2 tsp Garlic Chopped
- 1 tsp Thyme or rosemary Optional
- 300 g Chicken thigh Diced
- 1 Capsicum/ Bellpepper Diced
- 1 Red onion Diced
- In a small bowl, place all the chicken marinade ingredients together and mix well
- Massage the chicken with the marinade and mix well
- Using wooden skewers, skewer the chicken, red onion and capsicum leave aside for 20 minutes
- Heat a pan with oil on medium heat and grill the chicken skewers on all sides until cooked through
How to make shawarma wrap
- In a large bowl mix flour, yogurt, salt and baking powder together and form a dough. Leave aside for 10 minutes
- Cut into 4 equal portions
- Flatten the dough using a rolling pin into a circular shape (don't add too much of flour as it is important to keep the dough soft)
- Heat a pan on high heat with NO oil
- Cook the flattened wraps on both sides until brown and cooked through
- Build the wraps using lettuce, sliced red onion, tomato, grilled chicken skewers and top up with a sauce of choice ( Check article above to see recommendations on sauces and accompaniments)
2 thoughts on “Middle Eastern Chicken Shawarma Recipe No Yeast”
Omg this is so tasty, Thanks for the recipe.