Chocolate cupcakes moist and soft on the outside with a creamy chocolate icing that melts in your mouth and addictive at the same time. But so easy to make and only requires 2 bowls and a whisk? yes you heard it right!!!! no mixer needed.
I have tried quite a few recipes of chocolate cupcakes, so I can give you an easy peasy version of it. I have ultimately come up with this version. this is an adapted version of my chocolate cake recipe. if you haven’t tried my chocolate cake recipe, you have no idea what you are missing out, because it is the best chocolate cake recipe that you will ever find!!!!
Easy moist chocolate cup cake recipe
Ok, the secret for this chocolate cake to be moist is the use of oil in this recipe instead of butter. Oil is proven to make a cake moist instead of using butter. but I only use oil in cakes only if the dominant flavour can be masked through the flavouring. for example for a vanilla cake, I will not use purely oil because there is no flavouring that will cover the taste of the oil, but for chocolate cake, the oil taste will be masked with the addition of cocoa powder.
Chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting recipe
You can use either one of the two chocolate frosting recipes for this chocolate cupcake ;
- Chocolate American buttercream recipe- click here for the recipe – This buttercream is super simple to make
- Chocolate swiss meringue buttercream recipe-click here for the recipe– this is very technical to make and you need to have a thermometer to make this buttercream but my step by step recipe will guide you all the way through
Chocolate cupcakes with coffee in the recipe
The reason why there is coffee in the recipe is because coffee and chocolate is a match made in heaven and it does contribute to an amazing taste. It is very important that the coffee needs to be hot, if not the cupcakes will not work
Common mistakes when making chocolate cupcakes
Substituting ingredients- make sure no ingredients are substituted as every ingredient plays a crucial part in the recipe
Filling the cupcakes too much – it is very important to fill the cupcakes less than 3/4 of the cupcake liners, because they will over flow and leak out. so make sure it is correctly filled
Cold Coffee – Coffee needs to be hot as it will help the baking soda to activate in return making the cake mois
Why are cupcakes hard and dense?
The main reason would be because the cake has not risen when baking. there are a few reasons for this;
1. Oven not preheated- it is very important that the oven is preheated when baking cakes. baking a cake in a non preheated oven will result in a dense cake. because there is science behind baking and cooking and the leavening agents such as baking soda and baking powder only reacts to heat, so baking in a semi-hot oven will instantly result in the cake not rising
2. Hot coffee is not added to the recipe; it is very important that the coffee is hot. there is buttermilk added to this recipe for it to activate a hot beverage needs to be added.
Why do we add buttermilk to the recipe
Buttermilk is proven to make cakes soft and fluffy. Therefore it is very essential to add buttermilk. but if you can’t find buttermilk, buttermilk can be made using fresh milk and lemon juice, once lemon juice is added the buttermilk will thicken instantly and curdle.if it doesnt then add 1 more tbsp of lemon juice until it does.
You can also check my other dessert recipes
Watch how to make super moist chocolate cupcakes
Step by Step recipe how to make super moist chocolate cupcakes
Super Moist Chocolate Cupcakes
- 150 g All-purpose Flour
- 150g g White sugar
- 50 g Cocoa powder (Dutch cocoa powder is preferred)
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda Bicarbonate soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 75 g Buttermilk ( 75g Fresh milk+1 Tbsp of lemon juice)
- 75 g Brewed coffee hot
- 25 g Oil Canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 2 Eggs
- Sift flour, cocoa powder into a medium bowl, then add all other dry ingredients into the same bowl
- In a separate bowl add all wet ingredients in, except for the hot coffee and whisk well. until well incorporated
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together using a whisk and finally add the hot coffee mixture. Mix until well incorporated using a whisk.
- Preheat oven to 175C. Line a muffin tray using cupcake liners
- Using a pouring cup, pour the cupcake mixture into the liners. make sure only 3/4 of the cupcake liners are full
- Bake for 15 mins. Once baked, take the cupcakes off from the muffin tray and let it cool down completely
- Once cooled down completely, decorate the top of the icing using either my Swiss meringue icing recipe or American buttercream recipe.Please note swiss meringue icing recipe requires a thermometer. If you wish, you can cut off the top of the cupcakes, as there will be a slight bump, but if you like to leave it in, you can do so.
7 thoughts on “Super Moist Chocolate Cupcakes”
Hi. Just to let you know the eggs are not in the ingredients list!
Thank you, Amanda, it has been updated now.
It came like a liquid my batter
The batter needs to be liquid ( the consistency is showed in a picture and the video on my article) as that’s the texture needed to be poured into the cupcake moulds. Did it bake well? what was the final outcome?