My famous chicken fried rice is going to be simple, packed full of flavour and easy to make. this dish is filled with chicken & vegetables. It’s often a good way to pack many vegetables into it.
I eat fried rice when I have leftover rice and traditionally that’s how its made as well. By using one-day-old rice, it will give a better flavoured fried rice and the texture and the mouthfeel will be so good. and I also add whatever I have in the fridge because as I said I make this dish often with whatever is left in my fridge. it’s a very clever and easy way to use up leftover ingredients.
You can add any vegetable you like such as Green peas, Celery, Leeks
There are two important facts that cannot be skipped for chicken fried rice
1. The rice needs to be cold and a day old if possible ( if it’s not a day old then at-least make sure it’s cold.)
2. It needs to be done in a very high flame. you don’t need a wok to do this, but having the flame on high heat will help you get the perfect fried rice.
You can try my fried rice with my chili chicken recipe or with my hot-butter cuttlefish recipe which is the best combination.
Watch how to make fried rice
Step by step guide how to make fried rice
Chicken fried rice
- 2 Carrots Shredded
- 2 sprigs Spring onion Diced
- 1 Brown onion Chopped
- 1 Garlic clove Chopped
- 150 g Chicken breast or thigh
- 3 Eggs
- 400 g Cold Rice
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp Chilli flakes or Chilli paste ( Can reduce if dont want too spicy)
- Heat a pan or skillet with 1 tbsp of oil on medium heat
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and pan-fry
- Once cooked, take it off the fire and shred the chicken using two forks and leave aside
- Heat a separate pan with 5 Tbsp of oil and
- Add in the onion, garlic and cook until its soft for 2 minutes
- Add in the carrots and cook for further 2 minutes
- Make a small space on the inside of the pan and add the eggs
- Scramble the eggs. Mix the vegetables and eggs together once the eggs are cooked
- Add the rice and fry the rice until fragrant
- Add in soy sauce, oyster sauce, chilli flakes, shredded chicken and fry for further 1 minute
- Finally, add spring onion and serve immediately